arche noVa e.V. - Initiative for People in Need is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Dresden/Germany working primarily in the field of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. Our main focus is on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
arche noVa has been implementing projects for IDPs and host communities in Syria and Iraq since September 2012. For the support of arche noVa’s humanitarian aid projects and transitional assistance in North Syria in the fields of education, livelihood, food security and WASH, we are looking for a
Human Resource Manager NES, based in Iraq (f/m/d)
The Human Resource Manager North-East Syria is based in Erbil, Iraq, with frequent visits to project sites in North East Syria.
Duration: 24 months contract with a 6 months probationary period.
Based in Erbil, with frequent travels to all the NES sites of arche noVa (AN) activities, under the line management of the Head of NES Response, the HR Manager will contribute to the definition and implementation of the mission’s objectives and ensure the HR capacity required, sizing and improving people capabilities, contribution and active participation in order to achieve missions’ goals effectively, according to AN human resources vision and policies.
Objective 1: Design the HR part of the mission strategy and oversee its associated action plan:
- Draft, revise, and implement the HR part of the mission operational strategy in compliance with AN's policies and mandate.
- Translate the HR strategy into action plans for the mission as a whole.
- Advise the Head of NES Response during a major reorganisation of the mission’s human resources
- Produce, compile, and analyse standard HR indicators for the mission; where necessary, creates HR-specific KPI.
- Be responsible for evaluating, mitigating, and dealing with the budgetary impact
- HR Manpower planning for the mission and foresee for the next year
Objective 2: Roll out Standards, and contribute to AN's Expertise and Accountability in his/her scope of responsibility:
- Be responsible for the deployment and monitoring of the quality of all AN's HR policies, processes, and tools in his/her mission.
- Be responsible for drafting, updating, and enforcing the mission HR framework documents (HR Policy for National Staff, disciplinary framework, etc.).
- Assist and supervise technically his/her team with the adaptation and contextualization of HR frameworks
- Be responsible for the legal and regulatory monitoring of the entire process and procedures
Objective 3: Operational Implementation of Human Resources
- Strengthening and improving the Human Resource system covering the Erbil coordination office
- Strengthening and improving the Human Resource system in Hassake, Raqqa and Deir Ez Zor field offices and ensuring its smooth implementation by conducting regular visits to field offices in North East Syria (NES)
- Managing employment contracts in close cooperation with Headquarters (HQ) and Head of NES Response (HoM) in accordance with Syrian labor law
- Harmonising the HR policies and procedures, compensation, and benefits with AN Iraq mission
- Ensure a good communication flow between the 4 offices
- Overseeing and supporting end-to-end recruitments with a strong focus on gender balance in close cooperation with the Head of NES Response, the Head of Program (HoP), and relevant colleagues, including support for drafting the job descriptions
- Developing & implementing an induction plan for new local staff
- Providing advice to the Head of NES Response in administrative and HR terms
- Keep track of the Erbil-based staff leave balance and attendance sheets
- Prepare and submit the monthly payroll to the finance for salary disbursement
- Oversea/review the monthly payroll system for the Hasaake, Raqqa and Deir ez Zor offices
Objective 4: Oversee the mission performance management and capacity development systems
- Ensuring with the HR team and the managers the effective performance management system in the mission and overseeing the exercise of annual performance appraisal activity.
- Identify the areas of improvement for the staff, identify the training needs, and prepare the training plan for the mission with the support of the HR coordinator
- Developing in close cooperation with the Head of NES Response and HoP local staff capacity building plans, organizing and conducting training, including training on relevant policies of the organization and ensuring its full implementation
Objective 5: HR Compliance and Reporting Mechanism
- Supporting the mission in improving its internal complaints mechanism; providing training and awareness-raising sessions
- Ensure the code of conduct and institutional policies are put in place and well respected by the staff within the mission
- Ensure HR teams in the field are compliant with HR policies and procedures, do regular spot/internal check
Objective 6: Organisational design and development
- Supporting the Head of the NES response and HoP in terms of staff planning and developing organisation structure as per programme needs; keeping the mission organogram updated and indicating communications flows
- Providing regular reports on HR development progress, challenges, and plans to the head of NES response
- Any additional task assigned by the supervisor
- Relevant degree in a specific field of study. Certifications related to HR Management will be considered as advantage.
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- At least 5 years of practical experience in similar position in international humanitarian and/or transitional assistance
- Having a strong intercultural background and a deep understanding of the Middle East culture and international NGO working environments
- Solid field experience, including in remote and/or high security locations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent in Arabic and English; German and Kurdish language skills would be considered as advantage
- Highly computer literate with capacity in MS Office and related business and communication tools.
- Motivated, proactive team member with high frustration tolerance and pro-active working attitude
- The candidate must be willing and entitled to travel to NES
Nice to have:
- Experiences in PSS and conflict management
- Experiences with German donors
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale including per diems based on country context
- International health and hazard insurance
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year)
- Housing Allowance for individual living
- Opportunity to implement your own ideas and to bring in experiences
- Working with a highly motivated team dedicated to improving the lives of people in need
- Possibilities for further personal and professional development
- Possibility to balance work and life through flexible working hours
Attention: this is no family duty station.
However, arche noVa is a family friendly employer and allows for flexibility regarding children or care work.
People with disabilities are given preferential treatment if they are of the same suitability and ability. arche noVa e.V. promotes equality and a non-discriminatory environment.
arche noVa is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment.
Deadline for application: 12.11.2023; as long as it is published
Applications are screened continuously and interviews can already take place before the deadline.
Please send your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa as HR manager NES.
Subject: HR manager NES
Further information: www.arche-nova.org