arche noVa - Initiative for People in Need is an independent, non-religious, non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Germany working in the fields of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. The primary focus of our activities lies in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH).
The organisation is based in Dresden, Germany, and is a member of Aktion Deutschland Hilft (ADH), the alliance of German aid organizations. arche noVa bears since 1996 the donation seal of the German Central Institute for Social Issues (DZI).
In Iraq, arche noVa has been active since September 2013 in northern Iraq / Kurdistan implementing projects, both in and out of camps, in the Diyala and Kirkuk Governorates. In country, our main sector of operation is WASH, with a strong focus on hygiene awareness and rehabilitation. We are currently expanding that to a community focused holistic approach including agriculture and livelihoods. For the implementation and coordination of arche noVa’ country programme we are looking for a
Logistics Coordinator Iraq
The responsibilities of the Logistics Coordinator will include predominantly the establishment of the Logistics Department structures and processes with regard to a new project focused on transitional aid as well as support the existing humanitarian projects. The Logistics Coordinator Iraq is based in Erbil / Sulaymaniah with frequent travel to the field offices in Diyala and Kirkuk and their respective project sites. The position reports to the Head of Operations and oversees the Logistics Officer at the coordination office, as well as two Logistics Officers in the field offices.
Position to be filled: September/October 2020
Duration: 6 months
The Logistics Coordinator will be responsible for:
Technical Leadership and Systems Development
• Take leadership in the overall development of organisational systems with regard to procurement & logistics and ensure synergy between the Logistics and other departments within the organisation where cooperation is essential.
• Develop the overall logistical systems and processes, based on local capacity, cost-effective approaches and organisational needs.
Accountability, Coordination and Quality Assurance,
• Ensure strict application and respect of AN’s and donor’s procurement procedures and guidelines. Adapt or enhance AN policy and guidelines to local requirements.
• Ensure that the Core Humanitarian Principles and principals of ethical procurement are upheld in all aspects of the logistical functions and general management of AN Iraq.
Capacity building & team management
• Ensure all logistics staff supervised by this position are guided, mentored and their capacities built in order to ensure the logistics department and its teams are involved and contributing in every step of the supply chain and project cycle to ensure efficiency and the deliver high quality outputs.
• Ensure all relevant AN Iraq’s frontline & technical staff are assisted in strengthening their understanding of logistics concepts & competencies and are equipped with knowledge, tools and resources to support logistics functions at project and program level.
• Regularly visit the field offices and meet with the logistics and programmes teams to ensure streamlined logistics functions.
• Project planning; including the creation of comprehensive procurement plans for each project, liaising with the programmes and finance departments as well as HQ on approvals and updates.
• Responsible for directly and/or in a supervisory capacity launching the Procurement Procedures from Direct Purchase to International Tender Thresholds in accordance to AN’s and Donor Guidelines and establishing a procurement follow-up procedure.
• Drafting contracts and contract management throughout the project cycle including the close follow up on complex Works Contracts in conjunction with the Engineers and Technical teams.
Fleet Management & Staff Movement
• Supervise and optimise the coordination and movement of all AN staff and vehicles in the Coordination as well as the Field Offices.
• Ensure that all drivers are trained and vehicles equipped to meet AN’s safety and security guidelines.
Asset, Equipment and Premise Management
• Ensure the implementation and maintenance of a streamlined asset/equipment management system including an asset database.
• Supervise and support the logistics staff in ensuring that offices and Guest Houses are well managed and equipped to ensure suitable working conditions, staff safety and comfort.
• A relevant College or University degree in the field of supply chain, logistics, or similar.
• Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience in the field of logistics, especially in the international emergency and development context.
• Proven experience in establishing fully functional logistical systems, thorough knowledge of humanitarian and development operations coordination and major donor requirements is essential.
• Proven experience in local staff capacity building.
• Fluency in English (written and oral);
• Demonstrated experience ability to effectively lead an intercultural team;
• Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines;
• Experience in logistics with regard to WASH thematic areas is a distinct advantage
• Language knowledge in German, Arabic and/or Kurdish.
• Awareness of the Iraqi humanitarian, development, security and political context an advantage.
• Working experience in the Middle East context advantageous.
• Knowledge of Donors (like BMZ, UN OCHA Pooled Based Fund, ECHO)
• A competitive salary according to an internal salary scale;
• International health and hazard insurance;
• Accommodation in the AN guesthouse;
• 2.5 days leave per month (15 days per 6 month contract);
• One allowance to support R&R outside of the country
Deadline: applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis
Please send your CV and Cover Letter as a pdf document to Ms Pretsch: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org
Please explain in your cover letter why you want to work with arche noVa, why you want to work in Iraq and why you would be suitable for this position.
Subject: MEAL Coordinator Iraq
Further information: www.arche-nova.org