arche noVa e.V. - Initiative for People in Need is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Dresden/Germany working primarily in the field of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. Our main focus is on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
arche noVa has been implementing projects for IDPs and host communities in Syria and Iraq since September 2012. For the support of arche noVa’s humanitarian aid projects and transitional assistance in North Syria in the fields of education, livelihood, food security and WASH, we are looking for a
Project Manager NES, based in Iraq (f/m/d)
The Project Manager North-East Syria is based in Erbil, Iraq, with frequent visits to project sites in North East Syria.
Start: asap / 01.01.2024
Duration: initial 6 months’ contract with 3 months probationary period; prolongation for 2 years upon project approval.
Based in Erbil, with frequent travels to all the NES sites of arche noVa (AN) activities, under the line management of the Head of Programmes NES, the Project Manager will provide oversight of the project and is responsible for the implementation of the AA project inside NES. He/she will collaboratively work with the other key functions including Head of NES Response, MEAL, HR, and finance managers. Some highlights of the expected job role would be:
Objective 1: Ensure the general management and reporting of the project
- Overall management responsibility of the Project funded by AA: Leading local teams for project implementation, facilitating communication between all departments
- Provide overall leadership support to the Hassakeh office as the main office for project implementation
- Ensure excellence in implementation in terms of impact, reporting, and timeliness
- Stay abreast of donor compliances and requirements
- Planning, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation of project activities in line with donor requirements and policies of the organisation
- Supervising and monitoring compliance with regulations by donors and the organisation of all procurements within the project in coordination with the procurement team
- Provide accurate and timely project-related reports according to donor requirements in coordination with the Head of Mission and Head of Programmes
Objective 2: Effective budget management
- Ensuring effective, cost-efficient, and impact-oriented project implementation
- Ensure proper budget controlling, spending, and reporting in cooperation with the Finance Manager
- Check and approval of budget-related expenses (incl. documentation)
Objective 3: Project development and lessons learned
- Develop an implementation plan for all project components, water trucking, distribution of hygiene kits, food parcels, and non-food items
- Develop a voucher-based delivery system of hygiene kits, NFI, and food parcel support
- Contribute to the evaluation of AN NES carbon footprint assessment and develop an actionable plan for the reduction of the carbon footprint of our interventions.
- Collaborate with the MEAL team to further improve indicators, and conduct regular assessments to keep activities adjusted to needs
- Collaborate with the public relations department at HQ and make relevant material available for the visibility of the project and the organisation
- Continuously further improve activities, schedules, structures, and processes and facilitate the work of the local team on various levels
- Support local partner assessments and potentially the establishment of partnership cooperation for humanitarian interventions
Objective 4: Effective communication and engagement with humanitarian stakeholders on programmatic topics
- Establish an effective working relationship with adequate referral/support mechanisms and networking with relevant NGOs, INGOs, UN agencies, and other civil society groups for project implementation.
- Active participation in relevant working groups including meeting attendance related to humanitarian interventions
- Communicating and networking with project stakeholders in collaboration with the Head of Mission and Head of Programmes
Objective 5: Support HR activities with a focus on hiring and capacity-building efforts for national staff
- Capacity building of project team members on compliance requirements and cross-cutting thematic topics
- Provide in cooperation with Human Resource Manager on-the-job coaching and capacity building for the teams
- Collaborate with Human Resource Manager to recruit, brief, supervise, and perform evaluations of local staff when needed/requested
- Participate in organisational development as well as contribute to the arche noVa regional strategy as part of the country’s Senior Management Team
- Any additional task assigned by the supervisor
- Relevant degree in a specific field of study, showing a strong thematic background in Humanitarian/Development Studies, International Relations
- At least 3 years of demonstrated experience in similar position in international humanitarian and/or transitional assistance (> 1 years in a leading position)
- Demonstrated depth of experience and effectiveness in an NGO context in working with community/grassroots people and organisations, especially focusing on Risk Management Projects
- Experiences in managing intercultural teams and remote management
- Solid professional experiences in the MENA region, working in insecure / volatile environments
- Extensive experience and recognized expertise in models and methods of training, facilitation and capacity building, Project Management, and organizational development for staff and communities
- Strong experience in German donor requirements and expectations
- Applied experience within the sectors WASH, FSL or NFI distributions
- Excellent donor reporting skills, Experiences in proposal writing
- Organised, proactive, autonomous, rigorous, analytical, sense of human relations, diplomacy, communication skills, willingness and motivation to work in an international and intercultural context
- Excellent communication and networking capacities
- Excellent in English (written & oral)
- Motivated, proactive team member with high frustration tolerance and pro-active working attitude
- Willingness to travel frequently to field locations
- Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of German, Arabic or Kurdish
- Knowledge on cross-cutting issues (such as gender, age and diversity, inclusion environmental impact of interventions, DRR or protection
- Knowledge about funding and operation mechanisms especially on country level (like ECHO, UN OCHA CBPF, UNDP, DFID, Unicef)
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale including per diems based on country context
- International health and hazard insurance
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year)
- Housing Allowance for individual living
- Opportunity to implement your own ideas and to bring in experiences
- Working with a highly motivated team dedicated to improving the lives of people in need
- Possibilities for further personal and professional development
- Possibility to balance work and life through flexible working hours
Attention: this is no family duty station.
However, arche noVa is a family friendly employer and allows for flexibility regarding children or care work.
People with disabilities are given preferential treatment if they are of the same suitability and ability. arche noVa e.V. promotes equality and a non-discriminatory environment.
arche noVa is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment.
Deadline for application: 12.11.2023; as long as it is published
Applications are screened continuously and interviews can already take place before the deadline.
Please send your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa as Project Manager NES.
Subject: Project Manager NES
Further information: www.arche-nova.org