arche noVa - Initiative for People in Need is an independent, non-religious, non-profit and non-governmental organization (NGO) from Germany working in the fields of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. The primary focus of activities lies in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Disaster Risk Reduction, Livelihoods and Food Security.
Since 2012 arche noVa has been implementing humanitarian aid projects in Northwest Syria focusing on access to WASH, emergency shelter, non-food item and food distribution for IDPs in informal camps and host communities. We are planning to extend and diversify our engagement in NWS. For our office in Erbil (Iraq) we are looking for a highly motivated and experienced
Senior Strategic Development Manager NWS (m/f/d), based in Erbil, Iraq
The Senior Strategic Development Manager NWS will support the country mission for Northwest Syria, complement the tasks of the NWS Senior Program Manager in terms of strategic development. Both positions work closely together in a complementary manner and coordinate with each other.
Position to be filled: by September 2022
Duration: 1 year contract with a 6 months probationary period, extension is desired and planned. The position is based in Erbil.
The Senior Program Manager NWS and the Senior Strategic Development Manager NWS work closely together in a complementary manner and coordinate with each other.
The Senior Strategic Development Manager NWS reports to the Head of International Programs (HiP) and the Desk Officer (DO).
- Developing strategy for further development of arche noVa in response to the crisis in Syria in close collaboration with the HQ and the Senior Program Manager NWS.
- Reviewing and further developing exit strategy and contingency plan
- Networking and developing strategic partnership in the region around NWS in response to the crisis in Syria in close collaboration with the Senior Program Manager NWS.
- Participating in relevant strategic meetings and workshops proactive and in close communication with Senior Program Manager NWS and HQ.
- Improving and further developing donor mapping in order to ensure donor diversification
- Initiating and developing quality proposal development in close collaboration with the Senior Program Manager NWS and HQ.
- Keeping intensive communication with the Senior Program Manager NWS as well as to Head of Missions and Head of Projects in other AN country offices in MENA region in relation to strategic development, strategic partnership and proposal development
- Supporting HQ in relation with donor and strategic partner communication
- Reviewing and further developing documentations, contracts, financial reports and other reports to donors and the organization of ongoing projects in accordance to respective policy and format
- University degree in Humanitarian/Development Studies, Management, International Relations or other relevant fields
- Minimum of 7 years of demonstrated strong experience in humanitarian aid in at least one relevant sector
- Solid professional experiences in the MENA region, working in insecure / volatile environments
- Experiences in networking, strategic development, representation of organizations
- Experiences with funding mechanisms in humanitarian and transitional aid (e.g. GFFO, BMZ ECHO, UN OCHA CBPF, UNDP, DFID, Unicef)
- Excellent proven donor reporting skills
- Excellent in English (written & oral)
- Motivated, proactive team member
Nice to have:
- Experiences in WASH or Food Security
- Experiences with German institutional donors (BMZ, GFFO or GIZ)
- Scientific background and experiences in publishing
- Knowledge of German, Arabic or Kurdish
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale
- International health and hazard insurance
- Accommodation in shared AN guesthouses (mandatory)
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year)
- Hardship allowance to support stay outside of the country every 3 months
- Contract duration: 1 year with possibility for extension and a 6 months probationary period
- Working with a highly motivated team dedicated to improving the lives of people in need
- Opportunities for further personal and professional development
Conditions: Guesthouse policy, non-family duty station
Please note that arche noVa takes staff care seriously. That is why a complete COVID 19 vaccination is essential for all our Expats.
Any employment with AN will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
- receipt of satisfactory references
- proof of eligibility to work in the national location for this position
arche noVa is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment. Female applicants are given preference in the case of equal suitability.
Application Deadline: 17.07.2022 or as long as published
Please send your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa and tell us why you think you are suitable for this position.
Subject: Senior Strategic Development Manager NWS