arche noVa - Initiative for People in Need is an independent, non-religious, non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Germany working in the fields of humanitarian aid, rehabilitation and development. The primary focus of activities lies in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Disaster Risk Reduction, Livelihoods and Food Security.
Since 2012 arche noVa has been implementing project in North Syria focusing on access to WASH, emergency shelter, non-food item and food distribution as well as on informal education. We are currently expanding our project activities to the sector of food security & livelihoods for IDP, returnees and host communities.
For the finance management / controlling of our projects in Syria in our office in Erbil (Iraq) supporting our Syrian teams, we are looking for a highly experienced and motivated finance professional.
Head of Finance Syria (f/m/d)
The Head of Finance will take over the overall finance management of projects in the country missions for Syria and managing a team of finance officers and assistants.
Position to be filled: by 01. January 2022
Duration: 2 years contract with a 6 months probationary period, extension is desired and planned. The contract is subject to the project approval by the donor.
The position is based in Erbil, Iraq and includes occasional travel to North East Syria.
- Controlling, accounting and compliance of all financial activities in the country mission and relevant HQ expenses with AN procedures and donor regulations
- Drafting regular financial reports as required by donor and the organization
- Supporting HoM and HoP in relation to project budget management, planning and revision in line with applicable regulations
- Ensure the strong cash flow monitoring and coordinate HQ for smooth cash flow
- Supervising, advising and training all staff of financial department in the country mission with the field offices in North East and North West Syria
- Providing coaching and capacity building for the financial teams in cooperation with Human Resource
- Implementing, adjusting, improving and further developing and implementing financial management procedures, tools and methods in cooperation with HQ
- Continuously further improve activities, schedules, structures and processes and facilitate the work of the local team in relation to finance management
- Participate in organizational development as well as contribute to the arche noVa regional strategy as part of the country’s Senior Management Team
- Archiving/ filing financial documentations in line of requirements of donor and the organization
- Support audits in close cooperation with HoM
- Relevant degree in a specific field of study, Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or other relevant fields
- At least 8 years of demonstrated experience in an INGO or UN Agencies in similar position (> 2 years in a leading position)
- Experiences in managing intercultural teams and remote management
- Solid professional experiences in the region, working in insecure / volatile environments
- Experiences with funding and operation mechanisms in humanitarian and transitional aid (e.g. GFFO, BMZ ECHO, UN OCHA CBPF, UNDP, DFID, Unicef)
- Excellent donor financial reporting skills
- Excellent in English (written & oral)
- Motivated, proactive team member with high frustration tolerance and pro-active working attitude
- Willingness to travel to field locations if the security situation allows
- Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines
- Able to work independently and pro-active
Nice to have:
- Experiences with German institutional donors (BMZ, GFFO or GIZ)
- Experiences with FundsPro or similar financial management tools
- Experiences working in MENA context
- Knowledge of German, Arabic or Kurdish
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale, including per diems based on country context
- Accommodation and abroad package
- Hardship Allowance on quarterly basis
- Opportunity to implement your own ideas and to bring in experiences
- Working with a highly motivated team dedicated to improving the lives of people in need
- Opportunities for further personal and professional development
- Opportunity to balance work and life through flexible working hours
arche noVa is committed to creating an inclusive working environment, promoting and providing equal opportunities in employment. Female applicants are given preference in the case of equal suitability.
Any employment with AN will be subject to the following checks prior to your start date:
- receipt of satisfactory references
- proof of eligibility to work in the national locations for this position
Please send your application documents (cover letter, motivation, CV, supporting documents and references) as well as your salary expectations in one pdf-document to Ms. Richter: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa as Multi-sector Head of Project Syria and tell us why you think you are suitable for this position.
Subject: Head of Finance Syria
More information: www.arche-nova.org