arche noVa e.V.- Initiative for People in Need is an independent non-profit and non-governmental organisation (NGO) from Dresden/Germany working primarily in the field of humanitarian aid, early recovery and development. Our main focus is on water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH).
Since September 2008 arche noVa has been active in Myanmar. At the moment we are implementing projects in two different regions: Northern Shan State and Rakhine State. Our main sectors are: WASH, DRR and basic infrastructure. For the implementation and coordination of arche noVa’s country program we are looking for a
Head of Mission / Country Director Myanmar (f/m/d)
The overall responsibilities of the Head of Mission (HoM) include operational and program management, fundraising, human resources management, financial management, communication and representation of arche noVa e.V. towards relevant authorities and other stakeholders. The HoM is based in Yangon, Myanmar, with visits to the field offices located in Ann Township / Rakhine State and Lashio / Northern Shan State if the security situation allows. However, due to the current context in Myanmar remote management from outside of the county might be applied.
Position: Head of Mission (HoM)
Country Office: Yangon, Myanmar
Location: Yangon with possible missions to the field / remote management from home country
Reports to: Head of International Programmes (HIP) and Desk Officer (DO)
Supervises: Senior Management Team (SMT): Head of Finance & Administration, Head of Programmes, Operational & Technical Advisor
Start date: 03/2022
Duration: 1 year with possibility of renewal, 6 months’ probation period
The duties include, but are not limited to the following:
General duties, networking and security
- In cooperation with HQ, define and further develop a strategy to continue operating in-country by assessing the situation after the coup and during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coordinate the general management of the mission and, in close coordination with HQ, the further development of the organizational structure.
- Foster a positive and accountable work environment, ensuring safeguarding of arche noVa’s assets and interests, and protection from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration and poor value for money.
- Represent AN (in person if allowed or online) with authorities, local and international NGOs, partners, forums, humanitarian clusters and project stakeholders.
- Ensure active participation of AN (in person if allowed or online) in relevant technical working groups, humanitarian cluster and forum meetings, delegating where appropriate.
- In collaboration with the Security Advisor based in Germany and the Security Focal points monitor the programme implementation environment, including security, political, development and personnel issues that may affect implementation of the projects, and provide updates to the DO and Head of International Programs in a timely manner.
- Ensure promotion of arche noVa’s work through presentations, productions and dissemination of relevant visibility materials, tools and publications promoting arche noVa best practices.
- Maintain regular communication with all relevant positions at HQ level.
Financial Management and Compliance
- Main approver/signatory for all bank and cash transactions (e.g. payments, transfers, removal/adding of signatories, and other high level financial transactions).
- Signatory of all contracts (e.g. employment, consultancies, contractors, PCAs, etc.),
- Ensure compliance with AN, donor and governmental rules and regulations.
- In cooperation with the Government Relations & Operation Manager follow up the process to obtain legal documents (renewal of Registration and MoU) allowing AN to operate in the country.
- In collaboration with HQ and SMT contribute to the development of policy, guidelines, templates, SOPs and other management documents.
Programme and Partner Management
- Provide overall oversight to ensure quality management of grants and projects according to AN’s rules, policies and donor’s requirements, in close coordination with SMT.
- In close collaboration with the SMT supervise and provide overall support and guidance to AN staff, including on identifying capacity strengthening, training and mentoring needs and opportunities.
- Provide overall oversight on local partner management, working closely with HoP, HoFA and O&TA (in 2022) to achieve set project objectives, and ensure compliance, good financial management, and organizational strengthening.
- Where appropriate and feasible visit to project sites for monitoring purposes.
- Actively participate (in person if allowed or online) in relevant project steering committees, consortium meetings and other relevant meetings as required.
- Ensure quality and timely communication and reporting with all relevant stakeholders such as donors, partners, authorities.
- Identify new funding opportunities and new occasions for technical partnerships with different stakeholders such as NGOs, Civil Society Organizations (CSO), Companies, in coordination with SMT.
- In close collaboration with the SMT guide and support the team to develop project ideas and formulate new project proposals.
- Ensure mainstreaming of relevant themes and strategic thinking and planning.
- Ensure innovative approaches are included in existing and future programmes in order to increase positive impact on the target groups.
- Overall Management of the team including being the lead for any disciplinary procedures of AN staff (e.g. issuance of warnings, terminations, suspensions, etc.), in close coordination with SMT and HR and Operation Officer.
- Direct line management and support for capacity strengthening and performance evaluations of SMT members: HoFA, HoP and O&TA.
- In close collaboration with SMT and HR & Operation Officer oversee HR process and documents.
- In close collaboration with HR & Operation Officer ensure that recruitment process is carried out in a timely and adequate manner, consistent with AN policy and according to Government guidelines.
- Facilitate and oversee capacity building, in-service training sessions, on-the-job training and mentoring support
- A College or University degree in Humanitarian/Development Studies, Economics, International Relations, Engineering or related
- Minimum of 7 years demonstrated experience in international emergency and development project management (> 2 years in a leading position), including security management responsibilities in insecure / volatile environments
- Proven knowledge of the Myanmar humanitarian, security and political context
- Fluency in English (written and oral)
- Demonstrated experience in programme and human resource management
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and networking capacities
- Ability to effectively lead an intercultural team
- Flexibility, ability to work under stress and capacity to meet tight deadlines
Nice to have:
- Experience in WaSH, DRR and / or basic infrastructure
- Language knowledge in German
- Working experience in an Asian context
- Knowledge in Funds of Donors (like BMZ, UN Ocha Pooled Based Fund, DFID, Unicef)
- Knowledge especially in implementing emergency relief projects and transitional aid
- Competitive salary according to internal salary scale
- International health and hazard insurance
- grant to housing allowance
- 2.5 days leave per month (30 days per year)
Deadline for application: 31.12.2021, as long as it is published
Please send CV, references and cover letter in one pdf document to Ms Richter: bewerbung [at] arche-nova.org. Please describe your motivation of working for arche noVa and as Head of Mission Myanmar and tell us your salary expectations.
Subject: HoM Myanmar
Further information: www.arche-nova.org